Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Facts and Figures

There are over one million people in Palm Beach County and 23% are over 65 and 21% are under 18. Fifty-one percent are female. I was perusing my county's points of interest and discovered 30 different drug rehabilitation and treatment centers from North Palm Beach to Boca, about one hour driving. I'm ... intrigued?

Is your state/county any different? I'm curious now.

I read this morning that a notable percentage of deaf students who graduate high school, graduate reading at the same level as most 10-year-olds. Scientists have noted that closed captioning for the deaf isn't nearly as effective as a signer. Doesn't come close. So, they're developing a program fronted by a computer-generated signer that can sign whatever is called for. Lines and lines of code, rules for predicting language, American Sign Language. It's mind-blowing.

They're also trying to create a better tutor. Passersby couldn't tell that subjects were talking to a computer program. They just assumed they were chatting with someone on Skype. Seriously.

Yeah, what did YOU do today? Pfff, right? Geez.

No comments:

Post a Comment