Thursday, March 31, 2011

MMMManimals


One evening on my way home, as I strolled through the hallway to my apartment, I saw small movement by the door frame of another apartment.

"Probably just a frog," I thought.

No. Mouse.

So began my "I miss nature/animals" thought. I only see dogs on the street, on leashes. I only see cats in windows ... or at my friends' place farther up the avenue.

Rats, mice, cockroaches -- that is my nature now.

A girl my age in the apartment one floor below me has a bird. I hate birds. I'm not alone in this campaign against pet birds because I once saw a Post-It note on her door that read something like "This building does not allow dogs or cats for a reason. Please keep your bird quiet."

So, I find nature elsewhere; usually, on a movie screen. Recently I saw "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives" and "The Montreal Girl." Both featured a big animal of some kind, ox-related or cow-related, respectively. And I admit that I couldn't take my eyes off of them.

"MMMM ANIMALSSSSS," I thought, but not in a get-in-my-belly way.

Tuesday marked six months of living here, which is twice as long as I lived in LA. Progress!

3 comments:

  1. I don't like birds either. I'm kind of afraid of them. Maybe it was seeing Hitchcock's movie. Or maybe it was having a bad pigeon (hate them the most) poop on my head in Tompkins Square years ago -- long before Tompkins Square was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents' "next-door" neighbors has a big ol' bird among other animals and such, but this one, called "Kiwi" would scream. And bite the cages when we would go to feed him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ex really liked birds; if we ever got serious, I would have had to share a house with a squawking, feathery mess.

    ReplyDelete