A friend of friend of mine named Adam Smith is an incredible writer and thinker and person. An article he wrote for Relevant Magazine was particularly interesting and truthful across social circles, transcending (is that the right word?) the Christian community. It's called "Quit Playing Games with My Heart." I suggest you read it at your leisure and filter out what you don't feel applies to you, since it is a bit Christian-specific. I know there's going to be some bitchers in the audience. The reader's comments are worth the read for the anthropological research alone.
No, I'm not religious whatsoever, but I like to observe how other people choose to live and experience a different social circle, etc. That's why this article hit home for so many of us, religious or not.
Every tight-knit circle commits what I like to call "social incest." Everybody dates everybody. Sloppy seconds, thirds. There's that one girl who's dated every guy in your circle and vice versa. You know who she is. You know her by name and your eyes compulsively roll when you hear about her newest "beau." We have one or a bunch in every group.
In the community that Adam spoke of, there was a lot of black-and-white standards being held. You couldn't be talking to anyone of the opposite sex, lest you be marked as "dating," "engaged" or worse. And some of the members would blow through the dating pool like a Midwest tornado, leaving heartbreak and pain in his/her wake. I'm sure this doesn't just apply to only this community.
One point he made that was really cool for me: We need to engage in better platonic relationships. We need to be content being single before we embark on a "search"to find the perfect person for us. We need to treat each other better. Again, I don't think that's just applicable to any single community.
Bitches.
No comments:
Post a Comment