Sunday, February 7, 2010

On etiquette and courtesy

Working in the corporate world, I've noticed more than just the sharp-dressed men, the cubicle farms, and caffeinated beverage breaks. I've also noticed the greater presence of etiquette, courtesy, and, yes, chivalrous behavior. Before you roll your eyes, this is not a post about bashing chivalrous behavior. It's really not.

I have my own brand that I use, but only out of habit. At my last job, I was introduced to every single person in my department individually and I noticed that I ever-so-slightly did a curtsy. Yes, you're allowed to laugh. I still do it. I will shake the person's hand, regardless of gender, with adequate strength and make eye contact, BUT afterward I will tilt my head and eyes down the tiniest bit and then somehow my left foot trails around my right foot into a baby curtsy. Why do I do this!? I have no idea. I just love the idea of the curtsy/bow. The lower you bowed, the more respect you were giving that person.

It's the same idea with applauding -- the higher you raise your clapping hands, the more you enjoyed the performance. Not counting the screams of approval.

In any case, because I'm one of the younger ladies at the office building, I had to get used to the previous generation's habit of door-opening. And I'm essentially not really allowed to hold a door open for a man, even if I beat him to the door and was holding the door open for other people before him. I usually get the "I appreciate the effort" smile, and they usually put their arm above my head to hold the door for me. It's semi-awkward, and it happens rather frequently. I like holding doors open for people! So now I just time it, smile, and thank the person.

I enjoy being courteous, but people just won't let me. I read of another woman who's kinda confused about what to do these days.

There are two different reactions to the behavior, one of which can be seen in the comments on the blog "Man of Exception." She's an idiot, though, so. Whatev.

However, this opinion piece is my favorite that I've come across so far and the explanation of why he does it makes my face do the smile thing. It's called "Chivalry: Not dead, just in intensive care." Granted, it's 8 years old, but I think it's still relevant and poignant.

I also believe that if you took the time, effort, and monetary hardship to earn a Ph.D., M.D., or something equivalent in the field of education, it's important to acknowledge a person as "Dr. Thompson," etc. I know, they hate it because it's stuffy, but I think it's respectful. I also call boys "sir" and girls "ma'am." Get over it, the lot of you.

2 comments:

  1. Whenever I go to the supermarket, the cashier says hello, asks me how I'm doing, then thanks me by NAME when handing me my receipt, because I use a registered club card. My goal is to get through all this without having to say anything myself. Because I don't feel like talking. I feel like walking home and eating my goddamn soup. I usually just smile and nod and hope they just assume I have a sore throat. But sometimes they force it out of me. "Have a nice day, Mr... Kon... Kon... trar... vowskyz... Is that how you say it?" It's not, but I always say, "Yes. Thanks."

    How amazing would it be if the person behind me actually had to wait while I trained the cashier to pronounce my last name correctly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's crazy! I try to at least make eye contact with the cashier and make it a point to thank them and/or wish them a good day.

    And I've waited behind someone that tried to haggle with a cashier about the price of dried beans and then indirectly insulted the cashier when she couldn't get what she wanted.

    So, it could be way worse.

    ReplyDelete