Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The cute disease

Some human beings are destined to be just "the friend." Certain men are perpetually stuck in "friend mode" and particular women are in chronic "sister status." There's that one guy friend we ladies have that we consider our brother, our partner, the penis we cry to when another penis made us start the crying. We know that guy friend will never get any play from us. He's stuck in "friend mode." Same goes for specific kinds of girls. And any "Pick-Up Artist" fan can tell you, being kept in "friend mode" is AWWWKWARD.

Along this vein, I thought I might talk about the cute disease.

(The bit at 2:13 is the point.)



Although presented by a flippant and hilarious vehicle like "The Kids in the Hall," the idea that "the cute as a species" have an expiration date for cuteness is sound and very effing real, people.

But it's a double-edged sword, being cute. Cute people aren't taken seriously. Zooey Deschanel couldn’t be the editor-in-chief of a national newspaper or even the manager of an Express store. She's too damn cute. Imagine Elijah Wood as a cutthroat trial lawyer. You can't. 'Cause it'll never happen.

Faithful blog followers, if you thought my erratic sleep patterns were due to the fact that I've moved six times in the last 13 months -- LIES! I'm dreading the day I'm no longer cute. And then I'll just be "nice." Commence to vomit party. Some people can grow out of the cute gracefully, while others. Meh.



All right, I don't know about that last one.

With all that being said, I think if Yelle wasn't Europe's version of cute, she wouldn't be able to do what she does best: Talk about pubes on a record.

P.S. Here are some pictures from the short film I mentioned a few posts ago. The first eight or so pages are of us: Behold the magnificent Dan Reid.

1 comment: